Re: [RC] UAE Involvement in AERC Functions - Bette Lamore

 OK, Heidi
You got me out of my DWR mode---Just a cotton-pickin" minute here (yes, pun intended)! It seems we did as a nation legislate morality when we banned slavery, murder, stealing.... although as you say, it did not completely end the problems, I hope you are not proposing that we stop legislating --- every law we have has a moral overtone or undertone to it. That doesn't mean that we stop trying to end abuses. I believe there are some "moral" issues that should NOT be legislated (and I am not going to open that can of worms on ridecamp), however, child abuse is certainly NOT one of them in my humble opinion.

    raping little girls is against the law in this country as well--but
    well over half of the little girls in the after-school program in this
    county have been sexually abused by male relatives or their moms'
    boyfriends. I also think that is an atrocity. Who should I boycott to
    stop it?

No one is suggesting a BOYCOTT of rapists in the US or of the US for having people who break the laws --- Rape is a crime-- legislated-- so we report it to authorities-- that is our part-- the rest is up to the courts. There will always be criminals. The point here is that there is NO law against this child abuse in some countries and that it is an accepted practice. Those that are not practicing it are condoning it by not trying to end this barbaric practice. The US has frequently used boycotts to encourage other countries to end injustices. Look at South Africa-- and yes, it did work! It took time but Rome wasn't built in a day.
By bringing in prohibition you are mixing up apples and oranges. We decided to end prohibition when the majority (this is a democratic republic)of people indicated (by ignoring the law) that they didn't believe it was immoral to drink. Other countries always had the right to boycott us before prohibition and after it ended-- none chose to, perhaps because they did not feel it was such a moral or criminal outrage. This is a totally different situation and hardly comparable (unless you equate having a glass of wine to enslaving a child. If the arab nations engaging in child slavery of this kind had laws passed against it, I do not believe boycotting would even be an issue. We certainly have had difficulty in enforcing our drug laws and cannot throw stones at nations who are having difficulties in enforcing laws.
A boycott has been used in the past as a valuable tool to get international attention -- it certainly deserves consideration. As you pointed out in your example of rape, role modeling is ineffectual in many cases-- that's why we have the law to back it up!

Bette

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Absolutely right John. It has nothing to do with culture it has all to
do with international law, UN conventions to which all members accept
and to common decency.

Truman, if you think this doesn't have anything to do about culture, you
need to go back and review what happened particularly in your part of the
country when booze was outlawed.  You cannot legislate morality--that has
been demonstrated time and time again throughout history.  If you want to
stop atrocities, you can either try diplomacy and demonstration of a
better way, or you can go to war.  Simply telling someone powerful that
you have just made their sordid hobby illegal doesn't get the job done.

I agree that this is in violation of common decency--which sometimes I
think is an oxymoron anyway, as true decency often isn't all that common.
Where we seem to part company is how we in our sport can have the most
impact.

BTW, raping little girls is against the law in this country as well--but
well over half of the little girls in the after-school program in this
county have been sexually abused by male relatives or their moms'
boyfriends.   I also think that is an atrocity.  Who should I boycott to
stop it?  We do all we can to intervene, and every once in a great while
we get enough evidence to prosecute a perp, but that hasn't put a stop to
the horror.  Before someone misquotes me by suggesting that I think this
makes the UAE situation "ok"--I most certainly am not suggesting any such
thing.  I'm merely pointing out that "being against the law" does not put
an end to such practices--there, here, or anywhere else.

Heidi