Re: [RC] UAE Involvement in AERC Functions - heidi

 OK, Heidi
You got me out of my DWR mode---Just a cotton-pickin" minute here (yes,
pun intended)! It seems we did as a nation legislate morality when we
banned slavery, murder, stealing.... although as you say, it did not
completely end the problems, I hope you are not proposing that we stop
legislating ---

No, Bette, we need not stop legislating--but we do need to stop deluding
ourselves into thinking that passing laws is sufficient to solve the
problems.  Real solutions come from changing conditions and changing
people.  And that is a slow process.

BTW, I don't know if you've heard the stats from the past years--crimes
such as theft are down somewhat--but murder is up.  And in too many cases,
crimes such as child molestation occur because people who are quite
willing to pass laws "don't want to get involved" when it is happening
right next door.

It is damned inconvenient sometimes to intervene.  I did so in a case
several years ago, and ended up having to hire a lawyer to defend myself
against a suit brought by the abusive parents for "parental interference."
The suit only got as far as the discovery phase--my attorney did his
homework, and once he got hold of the girl's mother and started to
question her in depth, their attorney turned white as a sheet, called my
attorney into the back room for a chat, and the case was promptly
dismissed.  (And their attorney dropped them as clients.)  I was still out
a lot of time, gut-wrenching, and money.  The good news is that the girl
did eventually get out of the abusive home, grew up and married happily,
and became a good mother herself, instead of repeating the abuse cycle.
Another time that I intervened, I got a call from 911 informing me that an
irate drug-addicted mother was headed my way with a gun, and they wanted
to alert me in case the deputies did not get to my house before she did.
In that case, it was an abused boy--and he ended up living with a very
decent stepfather following a divorce, graduating from high school with
honors, and going into the Air Force.  It is people who make the
difference--not necessarily laws.  But once again, people have to BE THERE
to make a difference--even when it isn't very fun.

Heidi