Re: [RC] UAE Involvement in AERC Functions - Bette Lamore

Sorry you had so much hassle for trying to do the right thing, Heidi. I never said that simply passing laws solved any problems-- just that NOT passing laws against injustices is IGNORING the problem. Follow up and individual action is required. Sounds like you did that and I applaud your actions. Wish more people got involved as you did.
Until laws are passed, people seldom even hesitate to stop a behavior-- look at speeding, for instance. We pass a law and set 65 as a limit and most go 74-- could be worse-- when the limit was 75 they went 80 and more (I lived in AZ where 100 was not uncommon in the desert and 75 was the limit) however, without the 65 limit more would go 80 and 85. It is a start, a guideline. If the law is already in existence and being enforced as much as possible given the resources, (and someone said slavery is illegal there) then a boycott of the country would not be indicated but rather a ban on any criminals (those practicing in illegal activities such as slavery) participating in endurance events would make more sense. However, if the government was engaging in slavery (as the Sheik is a government official) THEN a boycott on hosting events there would seem to be in order. You see where I am going with this logic. The buck has to stop here-- with us in the US who symbolize freedom for all (and most of us are trying to achieve this, like yourself). We are far from perfect in the US and believe me, I have studied enough politics (majored in poli sci) to have seen the dark side of our government-- yet we as a group can choose to take responsibility for our own actions and if we believe an injustice is happening, we can make a statement not to participate in it or consort with those who do.
I agree with Steph that we do not have the right to force the WEC participants to boycott the event and agree it was an unfair thing to do at the Olympics--- However, this is not a matter of politics of the cold war here-- this is a matter of child abuse-- and perhaps the team has to decide individually if they want to make a statement. They can always compete, representing themselves and do not have to represent the USA.
Just a thought
Bette

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
 OK, Heidi
You got me out of my DWR mode---Just a cotton-pickin" minute here (yes,
pun intended)! It seems we did as a nation legislate morality when we
banned slavery, murder, stealing.... although as you say, it did not
completely end the problems, I hope you are not proposing that we stop
legislating ---

No, Bette, we need not stop legislating--but we do need to stop deluding
ourselves into thinking that passing laws is sufficient to solve the
problems.  Real solutions come from changing conditions and changing
people.  And that is a slow process.

BTW, I don't know if you've heard the stats from the past years--crimes
such as theft are down somewhat--but murder is up.  And in too many cases,
crimes such as child molestation occur because people who are quite
willing to pass laws "don't want to get involved" when it is happening
right next door.

It is damned inconvenient sometimes to intervene.  I did so in a case
several years ago, and ended up having to hire a lawyer to defend myself
against a suit brought by the abusive parents for "parental interference."
 The suit only got as far as the discovery phase--my attorney did his
homework, and once he got hold of the girl's mother and started to
question her in depth, their attorney turned white as a sheet, called my
attorney into the back room for a chat, and the case was promptly
dismissed.  (And their attorney dropped them as clients.)  I was still out
a lot of time, gut-wrenching, and money.  The good news is that the girl
did eventually get out of the abusive home, grew up and married happily,
and became a good mother herself, instead of repeating the abuse cycle.
Another time that I intervened, I got a call from 911 informing me that an
irate drug-addicted mother was headed my way with a gun, and they wanted
to alert me in case the deputies did not get to my house before she did.
In that case, it was an abused boy--and he ended up living with a very
decent stepfather following a divorce, graduating from high school with
honors, and going into the Air Force.  It is people who make the
difference--not necessarily laws.  But once again, people have to BE THERE
to make a difference--even when it isn't very fun.

Heidi

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)