Re: [RC] WEC National Team - Joe Long

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:30:59 -0600, "steph teeter" <stephteeter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I realize that this is different, but I am amazed that some of you would
ask our athletes who have prepared and trained for this event for at
least two years, probably more - to sacrifice because you now feel that
the WEC host should be punished. Make your own sacrifices if you feel
strongly - get off your keyboard and do something yourself. Don't shame
our National team into feeling guilty about pursuing their goal because
last week you saw a television show, in the cushy comfort of your own
homes, that opened your eyes to suffering that most of the rest of the
world knows quite well. (and don't forget to look in your own backyard).
Don't try to use our riders, your friends, as your political tool. This,
imo, is not appropriate.

Thank you for a reasoned response to the emotional outbursts.

Another point I'd like to add is that, having been around the block a few times,
I've learned not to accept what is presented in television documentaries as fact
without independent corroboration.  I know people who have seen this program
have been fired up by it (I don't get HBO so I can't see it myself), but they
need to remember that just because HBO shows it doesn't necessarily mean it's
true.  Remember the "exploding fuel tanks" on the Ford trucks in the NBC
"expose?"  (If you don't, NBC was caught rigging the tanks with pyrotechnics to
make them burst into flame on cue, to juice up their story.)

Before the AERC or AERC International takes any stand or action on this issue,
they need to do their "Due Diligence" and make sure of the facts.

I support our riders, our National Team, 100% and wish them all the best
of success.

As do I.

--

Joe Long