[RC] WEC National Team - steph teeter

Title: Message

Was the United States a Laughingstock when we boycotted the Olympics???  I don't recall that we were.  In fact I think most Americans were right proud that we stood up to the Commies.

In this scenario the athletes were nothing but political pawns. Hundreds of athletes - four years of training and preparation and hope, for most, this was their only chance of achieving a life-long goal. I felt then, and I feel now that this was a cruel thing for our government to do to our athletes. The politics of cold war superpowers.

I realize that this is different, but I am amazed that some of you would ask our athletes who have prepared and trained for this event for at least two years, probably more - to sacrifice because you now feel that the WEC host should be punished. Make your own sacrifices if you feel strongly - get off your keyboard and do something yourself. Don't shame our National team into feeling guilty about pursuing their goal because last week you saw a television show, in the cushy comfort of your own homes, that opened your eyes to suffering that most of the rest of the world knows quite well. (and don't forget to look in your own backyard). Don't try to use our riders, your friends, as your political tool. This, imo, is not appropriate.

I support our riders, our National Team, 100% and wish them all the best of success.

Steph