Re: [RC] "pound dog" mentality for horses? - Truman Prevatt

But I can find a lot of these "type" of horses for sale in the paper or even at <shudder> the auctions - at least in FL. So if a person can go get a great deal on a horse from these sources - then why go spend prime dollar from a breeder?  That's the question. From the piece on NPR - the horse didn't do that well on the track and clearly must not have done that well as a pack horse. He was bought by a smart rider who saw the potential - independent of the fact he was for sell in the paper for a thousand bucks.

I do feel sorry for "endurance breeders." We riders are cheap. There are a lot of good horses out there so we don't have to spend a lot of money. Many riders don't have the money to spend but want to participate in the sport and thank goodness there are good horses out there for them at a reasonable price. That is why this sport is growing in popularity.  It doesn't cost an arm and leg to get into and you don't have to have a $25,000 horse or get looked down on by everyone else involved.  Not to even mention that while a lot of people ride Arabs - they don't have to. Hell they can even ride <shudder> mules:-).

I expect if you talk to the eventing breeders they are horrified with a reject from the track TB that was bought from the newspaper on the cheap beat out all their high buck specialy bred eventing horses and managed to make the Olympic team. Probably as horrified as "endurance breeders" that horses bought for a few bucks have won world championships.

I'm not anti-breeder but in this sport it is where the rubber meets the road that is important. You can't ride the registration  across the finish line and there are very few vets that I know that would not pull because you show them the papers to convience them that horses in your's line never get lame.

In athletics - human and equine the world is made up of Cinderella stories.

Truman