Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] [RC] appys - heidi

If the results I remember are true, they do not prove that much about
Spanish Mustangs.  We do know that the genes of Spanish horses was wide
spread in the western USA in 1925 when Robert Brislawn and others
started collecting horses that they thought looked like they were
Spanish.  If they selected based on reasonable appearance criteria, they
should have obtained foundation stock that contained a lot (a majority?
a bunch? quite a bit? some?) Spanish DNA.  Many of the descendents of
these horses should have markers characteristic of modern horses in
Spain.  Big deal, we already knew that many horses in the American west
are at least partly descended from Spanish horses.

Well, exactly.  And where did the Spanish horses get the markers?  They
had infusions of Arab and Barb breeding from Muslim invasions and from
horses that Crusaders brought home.  And they had markers from traditional
European breeding.  So those markers don't even prove that the horses came
from Spain--only that they all have common ancestry of some sort.  Heck,
we know that...

Heidi

Many of the endurance riders in our top echelons of competition, now and in
the past, exemplify the 'common man' not the hierocracy. It is this
possibility, this chance to come to the fore, that makes endurance
competition of the Aussie/American type so much more desirable to part of
the world.
~  Bob Morris