Re: [RC] How many saddles do folks buy for endurance? - heidi

I've gone through my share of saddles, but only because they didn't fit
the horse  at the time. I have ridden in both endurance saddles and in
english saddles - I perfer english.  If your saddle fits your horse be
thankful - no need to change anything.

Truman

PS: Don't show you husband this - it won't help your cause ;-).

I'm another one that won't help your cause much.  I rode my first few
rides in a cheap generic English saddle that I had bought as a kid.  After
a few rides I moved up to a well-used Stübben all-purpose saddle which fit
me well and fit every horse I owned at the time.  I rode it nearly 5000
miles in competition and well over a decade until I wore it out and broke
its tree.  I then used a similar Stübben belonging to my husband for a
bit.  Then I was out of the game for awhile, and when I started riding
again, that Stübben was too small for my "no-longer-tiny heiny" and
additionally it was bridging on the horse I am now riding.  So I bought a
used Wintec Pro Endurance, which fits the horse great and fits me quite
well also.  (Did have to put the fleece tube thingies on the Webbers...)
It is a bit wide for the second horse I'm riding but otherwise fits him
well--I need to get the gullet set, or get a second one with a narrower
gullet so that I don't have to constantly change back and forth between
horses.  But that's my grand total of saddles, for 30+ years and 6000
miles...

And like Truman, I prefer English saddles to the endurance models.

Heidi

If people would just think of the hoof as the foundation for the horse like
a house foundation.  when your horse plants his foot down in the ground and
pushes forward if the foot isn't 100% balanced your chances of injury go
up.
~  Paula Blair