Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] [RC] appys - Ed & Wendy Hauser

"...claims made by the Spanish Mustang folks are still pie in the sky...."

I wish I could remember where I saw that.  I don't think it was on the
Spanish Mustang website, but it could have been.  I just roamed around the
site and couldn't find that bit of information.

What I remember was that there were some "genetic markers" found in modern
Spanish Horses in Spain and that the same "genetic markers" were found in
Spanish Mustangs. I don't remember that all Spanish Mustangs were tested, or
even that all those tested had the markers.

Now I do know that the use of "genetic markers" is a hot area of human
research at the moment.  There has been a bunch of interesting results that
attempt to trace migration routes of paleo humans by looking at frequencies
of genetic markers in various populations.

It may be that not enough work has been done to ID similar markers in
horses, or that some early preliminary work used to be quoted on the Spanish
Mustang web site and has since been proven BS and thus removed.  Knowing the
fanaticism of the Spanish Mustang breeders and owners I have known, I would
be somewhat surprised if they removed something just because there are
doubts.  Frank Hopkins is still quoted on the site.

If the results I remember are true, they do not prove that much about
Spanish Mustangs.  We do know that the genes of Spanish horses was wide
spread in the western USA in 1925 when Robert Brislawn and others started
collecting horses that they thought looked like they were Spanish.  If they
selected based on reasonable appearance criteria, they should have obtained
foundation stock that contained a lot (a majority? a bunch? quite a bit?
some?) Spanish DNA.  Many of the descendents of these horses should have
markers characteristic of modern horses in Spain.  Big deal, we already knew
that many horses in the American west are at least partly descended from
Spanish horses.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

Arabians were bred for years primarily as a war horse and those
requirements are similar to what we do today with endurance riding.
~  Homer Saferwiffle