Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] [RC] appys - heidi

I suspect that there were more spotted Spanish horses imported early to
N. America than we think.  The Spanish Mustang registry has a whole
bunch of spotted horses.  When I first met Kim Kingsley in '93 or so he
was riding Chief Red Arrow, who was appy colored.  I don't know if Chief
Yellow Fox, that he used to win the Jim Jones award in the late 80's was
appy also, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Well, there were likely enough of them to be of interest--but they just
weren't being bred selectively for their color.

The Spanish Mustang Registry web site (http://www.spanishmustang.org/)
has photos of lots of spotted horses .  Since this breed was established
before DNA testing, we don't know how pure the foundation stock was, but
modern testing does show that they are truly Spanish horses.

Well, not to burst anyone's bubble, but according to equine geneticists,
the modern testing cannot prove or disprove any such thing.  Modern DNA
testing proves that A was (or was not) the offspring of B and C, and has
gone so far as to establish dam lines through mtDNA testing, but the
claims made by the Spanish Mustang folks are still pie in the sky....

Heidi

The whole ride experience can be very hard, and at times you question why
you put yourself through such abuse. But then you remember all those
moments when you pop up over a hill and are suddenly surrounded by the most
stunning views.  It's just you and your horse and for a moment time stops
and you can hear the angels sing.  Therein lies the addiction, at least for
me.
~  Leslie Beyers