Re: Fw: [RC] balance/posting - heidi

This is good advice.  It's almost impossible to post effectively on
hilly terrain, especially if the "hilly terrain" is winding and single
track.  Trying to do so unbalances your horse...and you... from the
movement.  You have to learn to ride with your calves, knees, and
thighs.  However, when you "two point", try to keep your feet under you
and your body position basically the same from the waist down.

When you go uphill, bend at the waist, grab a handful of mane close to
the neck, grip with your knees and thighs, and try to stay centered. You
can use the horse's neck to steady your position.  Don't push your feet
back toward the horse's hips.

When you trot downhill, lean back slightly at the waist, grip with your
knees and thighs and again try to keep your feet under you. Don't let
your butt "bounce" on the saddle...it's a sure recipe for sore loins.

Over the years, I have found that deep seat saddles with knee rolls or
thigh pads work best on downhills.  It helps to teach your horse early
on to automatically slow his trot and get his hind quarters up under him
on downhills...AND to work on a slack rein.  Pulling on his head affects
his balance and yours. Teaching a soft one rein "slow down" cue helps a
lot.

All good advice, Jim.  I'd add to the first comment by saying that when
you get it "right" with the balance on "trappy" trails, you will find that
your upper body stays more or less still, while your hips and legs
"follow" the horse as he navigates the obstacles.  (I used to be pretty
good at this, but age and weight and lack of fitness have had a major
toll--I was THRILLED when I captured this feeling on about a half-mile
stretch of singletrack at the ride a couple of weeks ago, without missing
a beat.  Now, if I can just "get it" again for longer!)  Getting yourself
fit to do this is like fitting up a young horse--you will get glimpses of
it from time to time, and then you work on making those glimpses the
long-term reality.

Your hill advice is right on the money.  I've heard it said that whether
you are going up or down, you should be in a position more or less
perpendicular to what flat would be--so that if the horse magically
disappeared out from under you, you would land on your feet.  Going down,
you definitely want to be sitting deep--I prefer not to "grip" with my
thighs, but instead to relax and roll my hips forward, which in turn helps
my horse to do the same and tuck his butt.

Heidi

One would think that logic would prevail. But then, if logic did prevail,
men would ride sidesaddle.
~  Bob Morris