Re: [RC] LD/Endurance - heidi

Nope, at the first vet check in a 25 miler (say somewhere between 10 and
15 miles) there is no way for a vet to tell the difference between a
conditioned horse and an unconditioned one, assuming that the horse
hasn't been ridden beyond its level of fitness.  And it is very easy to
go 10-15 miles without riding even a totally unconditioned horse beyond
its level of fitness.

Herein lies the main danger of a 25--it is done and over by the time much
of the effect is felt on the unconditioned horse.  That's why we have the
pulse-down-to-finish--the penalty will be in the placing at that point
with the unconditioned horse, as the over-exertion is just beginning to be
felt at that point.  The first vet check does NOT sift these horses out,
unless they are overridden as well.

On 50, this hits at 25-35 miles, and causes the unfit horse to have to
drop back, unless he has a WHOLE lot of natural talent.  So the rider who
attempts 50 on an unconditioned horse pays the price DURING the ride.

Thanks, kat--this is the very difference many of us have been trying to
illustrate, but a few folks are just sure that Barbara, Joe, Maryben,
myself, and several others are talking through our hats.  I assure you, we
aren't!

Heidi

People in Alabama swear by manure tea as an herbal remedy for colds.
~ Lisa Redmond