[RC] LD/Endurance - k s swigart

Kathy Copeland said:

It may be true, and if a person really cared for their
horse they would never attempt it, but if they had a
brain fart and so foolishly did attempt it, would recognize
that they needed to pull themselves at the first vet check.
The vets in the West, I do believe would pull a horse like
this at the first vet check if the rider was still in the brain
fart mind set and did not do it themselves.

Nope, at the first vet check in a 25 miler (say somewhere between 10 and
15 miles) there is no way for a vet to tell the difference between a
conditioned horse and an unconditioned one, assuming that the horse
hasn't been ridden beyond its level of fitness.  And it is very easy to
go 10-15 miles without riding even a totally unconditioned horse beyond
its level of fitness.

Don't count on the vets to keep unthinking riders from doing something
ill advised with their horses.  The consequences of taking an
unconditioned horse on a 25 mile ride are not suffered by the horse
until years later.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

We are talking about all the tools we can use to keep our horses safe and
alive at the rides. Training/conditioning is one of the best tools
available. It makes us better horseman and women, it benefits our horses
and could quite possibly be the key to preventing most crashes.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm