Re: [RC] [RC] Ways To Know You Are Ready for 100 Miler? - heidi

There is something so magical about being out at
night after being on the trail all day on a long 100 with miles left to
go.  The night and the start?the start when you are looking around
thinking ?I am so lucky to be heading out on this adventure with my best
horse in this crowd of tough horses and rough riders.?  But the night
may be the best part of a 100 and I?ve tried to say it some of my posts
and ride stories.  Sure, it?s tough and you?re tired, but thinking about
the night times during a 100 still summons emotion from my heart.

This is SO true, Tom.  And the "high" when you come in across the finish
line after a 100 is just incredible.  It is you and your horse in the dark
(well, usually in the dark--sometimes it's just dusk, if you're really
fast), and you're in your own little bubble together, and you don't want
that bubble to burst.

There is kind of a "zone" that you get into in the dark with your horse on
a 100, too, where time becomes elastic and loses all meaning, and you are
just out there together in this private existence.  Words cannot
express...

Heidi

There are few places where the horse does not fit in; at least in my world,
as delusional as that one may be.
~  Howard Bramhall