Re: [RC] [RC] Ways To Know You Are Ready for 100 Miler? - Joe Long

On Tue, 18 May 2004 09:02:53 -0600 (MDT), <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There is kind of a "zone" that you get into in the dark with your horse on
a 100, too, where time becomes elastic and loses all meaning, and you are
just out there together in this private existence.  Words cannot
express...

Oh, my, the memories.  The glowing gallon jugs in the Shenandoah River at the
Old Dominion ... the "glowsticks" that turned out to be gloworms at the
Tennessee ... stopping and listening for hoofbeats behind us leaving the last
gravel road at Land Between the Lakes (and hearing silence) ... the moon rising
behind the trees at a dozen rides ... racing full-speed next to another horse
when you can't see your own horse's ears (and then they didn't have anyone at
the finish line so you come blasting up on the paved county road before you know
it's there! -- well, maybe not that one) ...

I love to ride at night, I wish they had more "moonlight" 50's.  In fact,
Kahlil's last ride was a moonlight 50 in Colorado.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx

When you ask a Quarter horse for something he says - Sure -  and when you
ask an Arab for something he says  - Why? -
~  Heidi Smith