Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] LD/Endurance - Howard Bramhall

This is a valid question and one I've pondered on for some time. One of the reasons I say what I do is I would like the 25 mile distance ride to become more similar to the endurance rides. Have the same rules, much like the 50 and the 100 are exactly the same except for the mileage.

The fact is the 25 mile ride and the 50 milers have both turned out to be "races" for those who win, top ten, and place for points, although there are no points given to the 25 milers. That doesn't change what they have become. The 25 mile ride is a competitive sport. I'm just saying we might as well acknowledge that fact because it's what the ride has become.

The reason I would like to see it change a little in this area is, if we're going to have a national LD BC program, we really should acknowledge that there's competition in that distance. It's there, and with a LD BC program, unless we completely revamp how we're going to decide who gets the BC in that distance, placing (top ten) will have to occur. If we acknowledge placing, then, we should acknowledge 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc, and acknowledge the weight classes of the riders.

I think all of this will put a value on the LD as a sport and, with that, rider education. At the clinics the LD will be discussed, as a sport, separate from endurance, but, as a sport with some relevance. This would maybe change things around. Things like what to do to prepare your horse for this distance, things like how bringing a horse that is not prepared can get this horse into trouble, etc. The same rider education discussions that are going on with the higher distances but, revamped a little, to educate riders for the sport of Distance Riding.

It already is a sport, points or no points. I don't see the 60 bpm as being the finish line really slowing down or reducing any of the ride times in the sport. Make the rules the same for the LD, give them points, give them a finish line, and give them rider education focusing on the horse in this distance.

By saying this is a sport, since we offer it at our AERC rides, we are responsible for it. There's competition and, even for this distance, one must be prepared. By giving it the weight similar to the weight we give the 50 miler and the 100, there will be a rider education program developed for this "sport." The competition is already there. I'm saying, "Let's legitimize it."

cya,
Howard

>The beauty of the 25 miler is, when done properly, there is less risk to the
>horse's health. ...

One of the things we do that reduces risk on LD rides is the pulse-down at the
finish determining finishing time (and place) -- a significant difference from
the way endurance rides are run. You have been one of the most vocal in
expressing concern for safety of horses at AERC rides. Why, then, would you
want to remove that differnce?

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx

You don't have to be a 100-mile rider or a multi-day rider to be an
endurance rider, but if you want to experience the finest challenges our
sport has to offer, you need to do both of those.
~ Joe Long

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page ? FREE download! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/

At the end of the day maybe the definition of endurance isn't the length of
the ride but rather the spirit in which it is ridden. ~ Maryanne Stroud Gabani