Re: [RC] LD/Endurance - heidi

Just because they CAN, doesn't mean they SHOULD!

Oh, I agree!  100%!  But nonetheless, you've made my point--horses for the
most part CAN do 25 miles with little or no prep, ill-advised as it may
be, but 50 is another story!  That was the point--not in any way
recommending that they should!

There's a big difference between taking a fit horse
out and trotting through a 25 and taking out a horse
from the pasture and coaxing and babying him through
the ride. I've done the latter when my distance horse
cut himself a week before the ride and it wasn't much
fun monitoring the less fit horse and getting him
through the ride. We got the job done, but it wasn't
one of my favorite rides.

No, it ISN'T much fun.  But one thing about LD--people come out and DO
that, and see everyone on FIT horses having fun doing it, and start to ask
questions, and come back better prepared for the next one.  LD serves a
purpose there, which could not be served if everyone had to start right
off on 50.

This has been twisted somehow from an honest (if not happy) observation of
what many of us see happening into a slam on LD somehow, and it is NOT a
slam--it is one more underscoring of why it is good to have an LD program.

Heidi

Personally, I shouldn't give a s--- where the other people on the course
are, and if I find myself starting to concern myself over this, I remind
myself that this is the first step on the road to overriding my horse and
tell myself to "knock it off!"  :)
~  Kat Swigart