Re: [RC] LD/Endurance - heidi

Thanks kristen. i coach newbies into the sport of
distance riding.I can tell you that NO. MOST Riders
and horses out there cannot do a 25, or at least
cannot do it safely and well.

Most RIDERS--I might agree.  Most HORSES--well, you addressed that later
in your post.

You or i could probably take many back yard horses and
coax them through a 25.

Exactly.

Remember, even at our baby distance of 25 miles, we
are riding farther and harder than 95 percent of all
the equestrians out there. most people are clueless
how far they really are riding. i took a student out
yesterday and she was sure we rode halfway to
Colorado. We rode 5.5 miles. I sure wouldn't advise
her to go out and do a 25 mile ride tomorrow. i think
her horse could finish one, but would it be a good
idea? nope.

Exactly what Barbara and I and others have been saying, Chris.  Odds are
her horse COULD finish one.  And nope, it is not a good idea.  But that
isn't the issue--the issue is that he COULD, and that is one of the
differences between LD and endurance.

I let a friend borrow one of my horses to ride a truly
baby distance... a 15 mile novice CTR. Again, a 5 mph
pace. She was flabbergasted at how FAST the riders
were going, LOL...and she said even at that distance,
every muscle and bone in her body hurt. She never came
back and wanted to do any more distance rides. This is
an experienced horsewoman.

Again, I agree that there are a lot of RIDERS who can't do it.  But the
majority of HORSES can!

Heidi

REAL endurance is eating egg salad sandwiches for 3 days straight! Heidi
Sowards... but then again... REAL endurance is riding behind someone who
ate egg salad sandwiches for 3 days straight!
~ author unkown