Re: [RC] wolves killing livestock and reasons why - heidi

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barbara McCrary" <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxx>
. We've lost about 8 % of our calf crop this year to coyotes.  Bummer!

Barbara

Barbara, I would not dispute this at all.....however just wanted to
share what happened when lived somewhat in your neck of the woods (La
Honda, also Santa Cruz Mtns.).  I lived there for 5 years....and there
were ranches on the outskirts, with folks running cattle and raising
calves and horses.  In those 5 years I never heard of any reports of
livestock losses to native perdators.

Incredible.  We also have serious problems with coyotes here IF we calve
outside.  Almost all ranchers here now have to calve in calving barns, but
that has cut the coyote loss dramatically.  They tend to be opportunists,
and will come up on a calving cow and start eating the calf before it is
clear out of the birth canal.  But if we can get past that stage, we
rarely lose calves to coyotes.

Heidi

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse`s ears.
~  Arabian Proverb