From: "Ridecamp Guest" <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 3:29 PM
Subject: [RC] wolves killing livestock and reasons why

Please Reply to: Kimberly Price kprice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'd like to throw one bit of somewhat little known research is out there,
that wolves do indeed kill many sheep or lambs at once as the prey are
enclosed by fences.  In the real world the prey can disperse and get away,
the predator drive is satisfied when one animal is brought down, but our
man-made artificial world creates an environment where the predator drive is
accentuated by prey which cannot dispurse and massive killings become
common.

So no, it isn't for 'fun' although some is to teach youngsters how to
hunt.  Also, research shows if you take out the predators then another will
take its place, maybe one not as well behaved as the first.  IF there are no
more predators then the prey that MAN likes to hunt will be diseased as man
only weeds out the young tender strong meat, not the old and sickly meat
like natural predators do, and once again the balance is screwed up.

It is the right wing anti-predator thinking which endangered  the wolf and
grizzly to threatened extinction in the first place.  Sorry, but I believe
in feedlots for our cattle and wild places our predators can still populate.
Its time we recognize the value of this and quit destroying the earth God
gave us.

One of the great joys of being a pompous idiot is that you can do and
think
whatever you want.
~  Homer Safferwiffle

The very essence of our sport is doing the trail as quickly as practicable,
while keeping one's horse fit to continue.  Taking the clock out of the
equation makes it another sport altogether.  The challenge is how to keep
the sport what it is while honing our skills (both as riders and as those
in control roles) in detecting where "the edge" is for each horse so that
we don't cross it.
~  Heidi Smith