[RC] Awaiting Baby - Beth Bennett

Hi all!

Well, the waiting game is on. My mare Paanache is due at the end of April, but I swear I think she'll go earlier. This is her first foal, but she is already bagging up and dripping colostrum (I think). It is yellowish sticky stuff right - at least that's how I remember it to be in humans. Bless her heart she just stands there eating her hay and groaning. Man do I remember that feeling.

Here's a question for all those who have experience in breeding. How many have had maiden mares foal early/late/on time? I know that every horse is different, as is every foaling experience.

The anticipation is just killing me! I'm going to start sleeping in the barn this weekend I think. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to ensure that you actually witness the birth? You guys can email me privately if you want, as I know that this subject has been belabored in the recent past.

Thanks.

Beth Bennett, Paanache and fetus
Chickamauga, GA