Re: [RC] Awaiting Baby - heidi

Here's a question for all those who have experience in breeding.  How
many  have had maiden mares foal early/late/on time?  I know that every
horse is  different, as is every foaling experience.

Keep in mind that normal gestation in horses has the most variable range
of any domestic species--anywhere from 305 to 395 days is completely
normal.  I hate to see mares being called "early" or "late" when they are
simply above or below some mythical average but are well within the normal
range.  (And I've personally had mares go from 312 to 383 days--pretty
much both ends of the spectrum.)  An "early" foal is one that is not yet
ready to be born, and a "late" foal is one that has stress issues
resulting from a delay of the onset of labor.  If the foal is ready to be
born, it is "on time," anywhere within that range.  :-)

Heidi

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is
noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience,
which is the bitterest.
~  Confucius