From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of heidi sowards
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 4:03 PM
To: Ed & Wendy Hauser
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] lupine

Ed, I know I've read that lupine is poisonous, however, a
nat. geographic horse special showed wild horses that ate the
lupine at certain stages of their flowering. I have a gelding
that was pretty much raised wild, til the age of 5 anyway. I
ride in some Weyerhauser clear cuts and there is one trail
that goes by a particularily large lupine plant.
My gelding will dive into this plant to grab a huge mouthful
of flowers, ripping reins out of my hands!! He's also
particularily fond of the tiny purple thistles, stopping to
happily munch the tops off, even when the are brown and
seemingly unappetizing. I think they are milk thistles?
Anyway, I've let him eat the lupine, he's so intent on having
some, not at any time of the year, only when flowering. (Not
sure at exactly what stage of the flowers though.) The only
horse I have that does this as well!!!! Any medicinal
purposes to these plants that my horse may know about?

Heidi

--- Ed & Wendy Hauser <ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 "...I know my horses are happily scarfing up this pinnately leaved
weed with little purple flowers that "I" have never seen
living for 17
years in Poway, but is all over my 2 acre pasture in Ramona 5 miles
away.  I don't know what it is - despite having a fairly extensive
knowledge of Southern California native plants..."

Have you taken a sample to your county Agriculture
extension agent??
Your mystery plant may be one of the weeds introduced from other
continents.
These weeds should be eradicated or at least controlled to save our
western wild spots for future generations.  There are
native and not
so native plants that do harm livestock.  I am in the process of
getting rid of Lupine and Buttercup in my hay field.  Both
are not a
real problem with horses, because horses normally do not
like them.
Cows are another matter.  I also have some Spotted Knapweed.  Not
poisonous, as far as I know, but a real problem weed in the
west.  I
am working on that also.

In the last I have attended 6 hours of formal extension classes to
learn about pests (animal, insects and plant) and their
proper control
(chemical, biological, and agricultural).

While a person may feel that ignorance of the plants in
their pasture
is a good defense against a violation of Rule 13, a prudent person
makes it their business to find out what they are feeding
their horses
and the effects of those plants. It is our duty to protect
our animals
from themselves.  Just as it is our duty to protect our
children from
the effects of alcohol, caffeine etc.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

One of the great joys of being a pompous idiot is that
you can do and think
whatever you want.
~  Homer Safferwiffle

ridecamp.net information:
http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/

=====
Heidi-aerc#M20935  /\_/\~    http://www.synjinarts.com
                 ~~/~~  \\~~~~   (Wildlife/Western & Equine