[RC] lupine - heidi sowards

Ed, I know I've read that lupine is poisonous, however, a
nat. geographic horse special showed wild horses that ate
the lupine at certain stages of their flowering. I have a
gelding that was pretty much raised wild, til the age of 5
anyway. I ride in some Weyerhauser clear cuts and there is
one trail that goes by a particularily large lupine plant.
My gelding will dive into this plant to grab a huge
mouthful of flowers, ripping reins out of my hands!! He's
also particularily fond of the tiny purple thistles,
stopping to happily munch the tops off, even when the are
brown and seemingly unappetizing. I think they are milk
thistles? Anyway, I've let him eat the lupine, he's so
intent on having some, not at any time of the year, only
when flowering. (Not sure at exactly what stage of the
flowers though.) The only horse I have that does this as
well!!!! Any medicinal purposes to these plants that my
horse may know about?

Heidi

--- Ed & Wendy Hauser <ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 "...I know my horses are happily scarfing up this
pinnately leaved weed
with little purple flowers that "I" have never seen
living for 17 years in
Poway, but is all over my 2 acre pasture in Ramona 5
miles away.  I don't
know what it is - despite having a fairly extensive
knowledge of Southern
California native plants..."

Have you taken a sample to your county Agriculture
extension agent??  Your
mystery plant may be one of the weeds introduced from
other continents.
These weeds should be eradicated or at least controlled
to save our western
wild spots for future generations.  There are native and
not so native
plants that do harm livestock.  I am in the process of
getting rid of Lupine
and Buttercup in my hay field.  Both are not a real
problem with horses,
because horses normally do not like them.  Cows are
another matter.  I also
have some Spotted Knapweed.  Not poisonous, as far as I
know, but a real
problem weed in the west.  I am working on that also.

In the last I have attended 6 hours of formal extension
classes to learn
about pests (animal, insects and plant) and their proper
control (chemical,
biological, and agricultural).

While a person may feel that ignorance of the plants in
their pasture is a
good defense against a violation of Rule 13, a prudent
person makes it their
business to find out what they are feeding their horses
and the effects of
those plants. It is our duty to protect our animals from
themselves.  Just
as it is our duty to protect our children from the
effects of alcohol,
caffeine etc.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

One of the great joys of being a pompous idiot is that
you can do and think
whatever you want.
~  Homer Safferwiffle

ridecamp.net information:
http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/

=====
Heidi-aerc#M20935  /\_/\~    http://www.synjinarts.com
                ~~/~~  \\~~~~   (Wildlife/Western & Equine