Re: [RC] MSM? - Ed & Wendy Hauser

"...I know my horses are happily scarfing up this pinnately leaved weed
with little purple flowers that "I" have never seen living for 17 years in
Poway, but is all over my 2 acre pasture in Ramona 5 miles away.  I don't
know what it is - despite having a fairly extensive knowledge of Southern
California native plants..."

Have you taken a sample to your county Agriculture  extension agent??  Your
mystery plant may be one of the weeds introduced from other continents.
These weeds should be eradicated or at least controlled to save our western
wild spots for future generations.  There are native and not so native
plants that do harm livestock.  I am in the process of getting rid of Lupine
and Buttercup in my hay field.  Both are not a real problem with horses,
because horses normally do not like them.  Cows are another matter.  I also
have some Spotted Knapweed.  Not poisonous, as far as I know, but a real
problem weed in the west.  I am working on that also.

In the last I have attended 6 hours of formal extension classes to learn
about pests (animal, insects and plant) and their proper control (chemical,
biological, and agricultural).

While a person may feel that ignorance of the plants in their pasture is a
good defense against a violation of Rule 13, a prudent person makes it their
business to find out what they are feeding their horses and the effects of
those plants. It is our duty to protect our animals from themselves.  Just
as it is our duty to protect our children from the effects of alcohol,
caffeine etc.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

One of the great joys of being a pompous idiot is that you can do and think
whatever you want.
~  Homer Safferwiffle