[RC] APF - Karen

At 01:03 PM 3/17/2004, Ridecamp Digest wrote:
This rider was extolling the merits of of the substance used
and that it improved the performance of her horse to the
state where it won BC. Now realize, this horse had shown for
BC and had the high vet score eight times. But the
"substance" allowed a much lower pulse rate that attained
the coveted BC Award. The Rider also states that a certain
named vet is endorsing this product.

...or maybe, after 8 tries the horse just got into better shape. Or, with high vet score, maybe the rider just weighed more that day than the other riders, went a little faster (or others went slower) and the pulses could have been lower because the rides she mentioned were in November and February when it's cooler. Maybe the other horses were not BC material that day. In reality, the APF probably had nothing to do with it. The horse is doing well because it is a good horse and is getting more fit and experienced. Horses just don't go out and start winning rides and getting BC because of any supplement. Personally, I have become leary of using products that haven't been tested thoroughly, especially things called herbs and/or homeopathic stuff. I have twice given Weaver one or two drops of arnica, for example, and both times he broke out in hives. My homeopathic vet recommended it because I insist that Weaver not be given drugs (i.e., bute) because he is so sensitive. He is a strong, healthy horse so long as his human (me) doesn't come along and screw it up. Imagine how somebody would feel if they gave their horse something like APF or some of the 'calming herbs' that are out there, and their horse drops dead on a ride (most likely due to the rider thinking they can now ride their horse beyond it's natural ability). The last time I knew a rider that used some of that calming remedy natural crap, their horse got treated. There are no shortcuts, building a good endurance horse takes a long time and a commitment -- no amount of supplements or fancy additives are going to do it for you, and more often than not probably cause more problems than they fix.

Karen
in NV

============================================================ People in Alabama swear by manure tea as an herbal remedy for colds. ~ Lisa Redmond