Re: [RC] APF What is in it, and would residues from its administration violate rule 13? - Ed & Wendy Hauser

"But if you read rule 13 in says "exogenously administered compounds even if normally found endogenously""

If quoting from rules one must be careful to not change the meaning of the rule.  The relevant part of Rule 13 reads:

"...evidence of the administration of abnormal substances or of normal substances in abnormal amounts (exogenously administered compounds even if normally found endogenously)."

Note that the part you use in your argument is an explanation of what a normal substance amounts is.  If person was to be supplementing a diet with Se, Vitamin E, Vitamin A etc. and the AERC tested the blood for these substances, they would find the blood amounts within the normal range for equids and conclude that the rule was followed.  If a misguided person, was giving their horse extremely large amounts of these substances two things would happen. First, the horse might well get sick since all these are toxic in large amounts, Se especially.  Secondly, the tested level would be outside the normal range and subject to rule 13.

Mega doses of the water soluble vitamins are a different story.  If withdrawn a reasonable period before the ride, there would not be an abnormal amount in the blood, again no violation.

I am not a state of the art analytical chemist, but I have often used the services of same.  I'd be willing to bet that MSN could be tested for as could the abnormal substances in herbal preparations, if someone put up the money to study their chemistry.  Since nowhere does the AERC reveal what substances it tests for (in fact this may be subject to change at any time), no one can say that a particular substance "does not test".  The best that could be said is "My horse was on 'wonder herbal stuff'  when tested on March 3, 2004 and the AERC did not detect any exogenously administered compound".  What the result would be on June 3, 2005 is anybodies guess.

"...  Philosophy is worthless as a rule if it can't be enforced and if it won't test it can't be enforced...."

There are two basic ways to look at morality.  Honor based, and conscience based.

Most sports in our world are run on an honor based morality.  In an honor based morality, the only thing that matters is not getting caught. Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr, were not conscience stricken about the subject of their disagreement, they felt that because things had been discovered, a duel was the only way to save their honor.   A college recruiter feels it is OK to give special consideration to a potential star as long as he does not get caught.  Under this type of outlook everyone is assumed to cheat unless sufficiently assured of getting caught.  The rules become long, involved, specific and periodic scandals erupt when cheaters are caught.

In a conscience based morality, things are done and the spirit of the rules are followed because the participants would not feel right if they cheated.  I believe that most participants in AERC rides follow a conscience based system.  Even though it would be easy, we do not cut trail.  Even though we know that blood testing is rare or that the substance probably "will not test", we do not administer abnormal substances or normal substances in abnormal amounts to our horses sufficiently close to competition that the horse might be influenced by them.

In the real world, most people are somewhere between only worrying about getting caught and only following our consciences.  I usually follow speed limits, but am more careful when I know there are lots of speed cops around.  I do follow all AERC rules as closely as possible irrespective of my chances of getting caught.  I would not feel right accepting an award if I cheated to get it.  Blame my Methodist mother for that.

I would be very upset if the AERC were to become an organization like the NCAA.  We would have 300 page rule books.  There would be an extensive list of banned substances updated every year.  A healthy percentage of horses would be on something that "did not test (yet)"
Ride fees would be 10 X as large because there would be trail watchers at every place where trail could be cut.  Ride stables would be patrolled by security guards to prevent drugging of horses at night.

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx