RE: [RC] MSM? - Alison Farrin

Yes.  Me.  I really hate to get into this discussion again, but I agree with
Truman.  At some point we have to pony up and assign some numbers to those
substances that are on the line between naturally occuring substances like HAY
and true drugs like Bute that everyone agrees are a drug.

I have used APF in competition and saw absolutely no reaction whatsoever on a
two horse experiment.  So, if you can't prove that its performace enhancing on
a regular basis, all you have is a one person observation that APF was the
cause of her horse's reduced HR.  Not scientifically valid, certainly!

However, I had a horse on which the addition of magnesium to the diet got the
same kind of better pulse more relaxed results.  That horse needed more
magnesium than my other horses. Because this horse needs more magnesium than
normal, to function efficiantly, does this mean I can't give this horse enough
MG to compete efficiently, since it might come under the rule of natural
substances in excessive amounts?  Without assigning a number to "excessive" who
knows?

I will again put forth the argument that most of the substances found in these
herbal products are also found in pastures around the world.  How can we
possibly say that the horse's natural diet DOES NOT include these substances
and it is our dependence on processed food that has removed many of these
substances from the horse's diet that for optimum performace should actually BE
there?

In reverse, by feeding straight alfalfa, I can produce an idiot horse that
doesn't listen for 50 miles and could improve his performance significantly
simply becasue I can't rate him.  He might come in first - and he might also
drop dead, but there's no mistaking that for him alfalfa is performace
enhancing.  Now, putting alfalfa on the list of prohibited substances strikes
me as just plain stupid, but if you insist on applying a vague statement to
every available nutrient, that's exactly what happens.

So, if you establish that (and I'm pulling the number out of thin air) natural
yucca in the diet produces a reading of 25 to 400 ppm and yucca added to the
diet as an analgesic produces levels in excess of 400 ppm, then you have a
level at which it is no longer a natural substance, but an artifical inducement
calculated to enhance performance.  That's a number anyone can deal with.

Saying you might be in violation because your horse is turned out in a pasture
that has weeds in it that have salicylic acid in them and he eats some and then
you test positive at a ride at .00004 ppm is liable to make rules violaters out
of 80% of the membership.  I know my horses are happily scarfing up this
pinnately leaved weed with little purple flowers that "I" have never seen
living for 17 years in Poway, but is all over my 2 acre pasture in Ramona 5
miles away.  I don't know what it is - despite having a fairly extensive
knowledge of Southern California native plants.  Merryben Stover has her horses
on 20 acres in Northern California - I'll bet she doesn't know the contents of
every plant in that pasture and I'm picking on Merryben because we all know her
as a person that would not intentionally feed prohibited substances in
competition.

I think that we all have a right as competitors to feed and care for our horses
using feeds and nutrients that will afford them the opportunity to perform at
their very best.  I also think we have no cause to be giving our horses drugs
and competing on them.  The problem is that somewhere in the middle, those two
statements become contradictory and without a clear numerical line, only the
people who are intentionally violating the rule know they are on the rwrong
side.  That leaves probably 98% of AERC members potentially in violation
without criminal intent.

Alison Farrin

Does any one care to deny that it should be called a
performance enhancing substance and thus not suitable for
equines in competition as per Rule 13?

Your

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID

tells you that your horse isn't "fit" for
endurance...doesn't mean it isn't, it just means your horse isn't fit to be
"their" endurance horse! Go for it, you never know what you'll accomplish
with that "saddle horse" or "trail horse" of YOURS!
~ Darlene Anderson - DPD Endurance