Re: [RC] MSM? - Truman Prevatt

Alison Farrin wrote:
Yes.  Me.  I really hate to get into this discussion again, but I agree with Truman.  At some point we have to pony up and assign some numbers to those substances that are on the line between naturally occuring substances like HAY and true drugs like Bute that everyone agrees are a drug.

I have used APF in competition and saw absolutely no reaction whatsoever on a two horse experiment.  So, if you can't prove that its performace enhancing on a regular basis, all you have is a one person observation that APF was the cause of her horse's reduced HR.  Not scientifically valid, certainly!
Below are descriptions of the effects of certain herbs off the Sloan-Kettering web site:

a) Animal studies have shown moderate anti-inflammatory, cholagogic and hypoglycemic activities,

and

b)... to be effective in treating diabetes, thyroid gland malfunction, arthritis, high cholesterol and peptic ulcers

Well a) is the description of the plain old common dandelion we all have in our pastrues. Actually I don't have any since my horses eat them and will go from one dandelion to another and much it down when I let them in the yard.

The second b) is alfalfa. Should these substances be considered in violation of Rule 13?  At the 2003 AERC convention there was a talk on ulcers and the speaker endorced - in fact encourged the use of small amounts of alfalfa to reduce the risk of ulcers.  She also promoted the use of Malox with electrolytes. Was she promoting a violation of rule 13?

But these were considered both herbs at least by Sloan-Kettering that seems to make their ingestion illegal.

Truman

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.