Re: [AERC-Members] [RC] Malik: - Sisu West Ranch

Heidi wrote:
"The take-home message is that one size does not fit all here"

This is a valid comment.  Periodically we have comments about the Austrialian and/or English systems that require a certain number of miles for whatever and suggestions that we should consider this requirement or that requirement.  One of the things that I love about America, and one of the things that we are in the most danger of losing, is that we are free to make our own decisions.  I truely beleive that there are many equistrians in the USA that are skilled and could enter a 50 or 100 mile ride for their first ride and do fine.  We should have freedom to be responsible for our own actions.

That said, the AERC also has an obligation to provide advice etc. to help us ride and protect our horses.

My first ride was a 50 ctr (one day 8 hour ride time) Sketer was ready and won a second place.  Even though this particular horse was ready to do a 50 as his first ride, I usually give my new horses a season (8-10 rides from May to October) of 25's before their first 50.  I would be quite upset if someone tried to tell me that I had to have X number of 25's to do a 50 and Y 50's to do a 100.  It is my job to figure out when my horse is ready for his next challenge.

Ed
Ed and Wendy Hauser
Sisu West
2994 Mittower Road