Re: [RC] Malik: - Heidi Smith

Title: Re: [RC] ??Malik:
>A year of 25s? My horse's brain would be fried from watching all the racers by the end of that year. Some of us are not interested in doing 25 milers now. A whole year of them would be insufferable to me. Why should I do that if my horse and I are ready, conditioned and prepared to do a 50?

I've got to stick with Tiffany on this one!  I did three LDs on the horse I'm riding right now, and it was the worst possible thing I could have done to him.  What it taught him is that "this is all there is" and by the third one he was ready to boogie, never mind that we never raced.  I don't generally do LDs at all, but coming back from a long layoff myself and being not very fit, I did them for ME.  And over the years vetting rides, I've seen more horses limited by doing LDs for too long than just about any other single factor I can think of.

LDs are a wonderful tool for the horses that either don't have the physiology to start off with 50s, or don't have riders who do the prep at home, or for teaching a new one to work in a camp-out environment.  For most HORSES, when used this way, one is plenty.  Furthermore, it isn't anything you CAN'T do with them at home or in a non-competitive atmosphere.  Riders are another story--it takes some riders several LDs to get THEMSELVES convinced they can do 50.  There are also riders who enjoy the sport who are physically limited and cannot ride further--and LD gives them the opportunity to come be part of the "family" so to speak.  And as such, it is great to have the opportunity available.

But to chain good horses to LDs for a year is counterproductive.  (It is also interesting to note how few of the really top horses with regard to both competitive capability and longevity never did one single solitary LD...)

Heidi