Re: [RC] Malik: - Tiffany D'Virgilio

Title: Re: [RC]   Malik:
on 10/17/03 8:59 AM, Heidi Smith at heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

But to chain good horses to LDs for a year is counterproductive.  (It is also interesting to note how few of the really top horses with regard to both competitive capability and longevity never did one single solitary LD...)

To me endurance is 50 miles or more. I haven't done an LD. I do them in training once per week. Doing endurance was my goal, and my dream. It was harder on me then the horse. I loved every minute of my first ride. It was hot, long and in some parts miserable. It was also the most glorious thing I have ever done on horseback and I have been riding since I was two.
I would never in a million years give up the feeling I had when I completed my first ride, a 50. I cried at the end into the mane of my friend who gave me her all and carried my aching body across that line. I'm crying sitting here as I type, remembering that day. I did three more 50 milers my first season. And loved every minute as did my horse.
I don't get that feeling when I do a 25 or 30 mile training ride. Something about going at least 50 miles. You'd never do it in your normal riding and it tests both you and your horse's mettle. If you have prepared, you will be rewarded with the best feeling inside.
I'm sure I will do an LD someday. Right now, I have a fit 11 year old mare, I'm 34, and all I want to do is keep reaching. I'm hoping for a longer ride this year-maybe a 75 at Swanton. Endurance riding (to me) is about reaching for your dreams, riding farther than you thought you ever could, and preparing, admiring, and being proud of a fit, sound and happy horse at the finish. In all my years on a horse's back, I never felt the way I did and do after finishing a ride. It is bittersweet, aching, glorious, achieving, HEAVEN.
I would have been very sad to have HAD to do a year of 25s. They are fantastic for those that WANT to do them, those that NEED to do them, either for themselves or their horse. Some are ready for 50s right away, and through proper training have earned the right to test themselves against the trail and the conditions, and know enough about their horse AND themselves to do the right thing.
Why is is bittersweet? Because it is over and I have to get off. I hope to do a 100 soon, so I can say as  many others have, it is dark and I am still riding!
Tiffany