Re: [RC] Very important message about WNV SHOTS - Heidi Smith

> See, this is what I want to know, I personally do not know of any horses that have been affected and I think it reasonable as Steph Caldwell has said, we need a lot more unbiased data on the disease and the values of the shots. That is all

>I had my herd done, last spring, but as I said, I am seriously thinking of not giving a booster until I have a lot more knowledge especially for the area that I live in.  And what about the horses that got the vaccine and still got the virus? what is the stats and data on that?

The bottom line with ANY vaccine is the risk/benefit equation.  What are the risks of the vaccine and what are the benefits of the vaccine (risks of not giving it)?  ALL vaccines have risks.  So if there is no possible benefit (example--why would I vaccinate for African Horse Sickness when I live in Idaho?) then there is no sense in taking on the risk.

There is no ONE vaccine protocol that fits all areas--and often not even one that fits all the horses on the same farm.  You have to take into account several things.  One, what is the prevalence of the disease in your area?  If it is low, the risk of getting the disease may be less than the risk of vaccinating.  Two, what are the consequences of getting the disease?  If the disease has a high mortality rate, there is more incentive to accrue the risks of vaccination than if the mortality rate is low.  Three, how is the disease spread and what are the chances that your horses will be exposed?  If it requires nose-to-nose contact, and your horses are isolated, they are not at risk even if the disease is in your area, but if the disease is spread by a vector, then your horses may be at risk even if they are isolated.  Four, what is your management system?  (This could really be 3A.)  Do you have outside horses coming in, or do you take horses out where they could be exposed?  Five, what is the reactivity of the vaccine in question?  A more reactive vaccine will cause one to take increased risks of disease before choosing to vaccinate.

And not vaccinating mares in the first couple of months of gestation is just a no-brainer.  I don't care to use ANY vaccine at that stage, and will only do so if I think there is a real overriding reason.  My own preference is to vaccinate mares at about 9-10 months of gestation--thereby also getting some colostral antibodies into the foal.

Just a few examples, using my own herd.  Tetanus--not a high risk in my area, but nonetheless a fairly ubiquitous risk.  Very low chance of contracting it, but high fatality rate if you do.  Not "contagious"--but present in the environment.  Vaccine highly efficacious and one of the safer ones on the market.  Cha-ching!  We'll do that one.

EEE/WEE--low to moderate risk in my area.  Seasonal.  Vector-borne, so can't really control it by isolation of herd.  Vaccine highly efficacious and relatively safe.  Cha-ching!  Another positive decision.

Influenza--an inconvenient but rarely fatal disease.  Low to moderate risk in my area, and requires some degree of closeness or contact.  Not something my horses are apt to catch unless I bring it home with me.  Nonetheless, a fairly safe vaccine, although efficacy leaves a lot to be desired.  Not a bad enough vaccine to shy away from it, so this is a take-it-or-leave-it one in my book.  Main reason for giving it is the convenience of 4-way.

Rhino--again, not a high risk for my herd.  We aren't nose-to-nose to anyone.  My main concern is bringing it home to broodmares.  Pneumabort K is a fairly reactive vaccine--not one I care to do the 3-shot mid-gestation series that is recommended, unless there is a definite risk of exposure.  Intermediate solution--booster the horses once a year that go off the place, and don't bring it home!

Strangles--no exposure risk for my herd, unless I bring it home.  Vaccine has only moderate efficacy, and occasional reactions.  Disease can have serious complications, but the main implication of an outbreak is a bunch of really sick horses and a lot of work, not usually dead ones.  Intermediate solution--only vaccinate those that leave the place, and watch the hygiene when away from home!  (So far rides in our area have stayed pretty healthy--and I avoid fairgrounds stalls like the plague.  We went to a horse show last weekend--and camped out with our horses just like at a ride, rather than put them in the "trafficked" areas.)

PHF--very low risk here, although not altogether nil.  Vaccine fairly safe, not sure how efficacious, but due to low risk here, I choose not to.  Would choose differently in a different locale.

WNV--still no cases in this area.  Maybe next year.  Efficacy of vaccine around 75%, and vaccinated horses apt to have milder cases.  Personally still holding out, although many here have given it.  We do have SOME mosquitos, but not what they do down along the river, so even if it comes this way next year, our exposure risk is lower than many of our neighbors.

Rabies--we don't have it here.  A non-starter for us.

I think you have to go through EVERY different vaccine and use that sort of thought process in making your decisions.  If I lived in other areas of the country, I'd definitely be vaccinating for rabies, and most likely for WNV.  Likewise, if I lived in a really crowded area, I would rethink both rhino and strangles.  But you have to make up your own mind about your OWN circumstances, and your OWN locale.   The main thing is to use good factual data to do so--not emotional claptrap like the stuff on that inflamatory WNV site.

Heidi