Re: [RC] Very important message about WNV SHOTS - Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

Susan is it true that in Colorado that 14 humans died from WNV?

Yes, although all of them were somehow immunocompromised---ill and I believe
mostly in their 70s and 80s.  Last I heard, there were roughly a thousand
human cases in Colorado, so the death rate in humans is lower than for
horses.

Why are there not shots for humans, if it affects them?

Because the approval process is much longer and more stringent.  So the
human vaccine is about two years away.

I keep asking myself of all the tens of thousands of >horses that did not
get this, what exactly is the danger?

Didn't get what?  The vaccine, exposure, clinical disease, or what?  What
the prevalence is in an area is in direct proportion to the mosquitoes
carrying the virus.  What number that are exposed to the virus that will
produce viremia and clinical signs of disease, I don't know.  Those that are
exposed, develop clinical disease and die, about 30-40%.

But guess what? I took a survey of my Physician clients >that were buying
into giving their patients the shot, and >ask them if THEY were getting it.
Every one said NO >but for one guy, and he was neurotic, so I don't know if
I believe him or not.

I'm not sure of your point here.  Are you saying the physicians themselves
didn't get vaccinated?  Okay, fine.  What's the relevance to this
discussion?  Are you asking how many vets are vaccinating their own horses
against WNV?  Personally, I don't know of any that aren't---at least among
those where WNV has shown up.  The rest ---like those on the West Coast and
PNW---are planning on it this coming spring.

Vaccinating is certainly a personal choice and I hope everyone is able to
beat the odds and be able to say I told you so.  I've sure seen a lot of
horses this past year that didn't beat the odds, and it wasn't pretty.

Susan G