Re: [RC] Very important message about WNV SHOTS - rackinfool

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 8:24 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Very important message about WNV SHOTS
>Why are there not shots for humans, if it affects them?

Because the approval process is much longer and more stringent.  So the
human vaccine is about two years away.Yes, that totally makes sense.

>I keep asking myself of all the tens of thousands of >horses that did not
get this, what exactly is the danger?

Didn't get what?  The vaccine, exposure, clinical disease, or what?That did not get vaccinated, and did not come down with the virus.  What
the prevalence is in an area is in direct proportion to the mosquitoes
carrying the virus.  What number that are exposed to the virus that will
produce viremia and clinical signs of disease, I don't know.  Those that are
exposed, develop clinical disease and die, about 30-40%.

>But guess what? I took a survey of my Physician clients >that were buying
into giving their patients the shot, and >ask them if THEY were getting it.
Every one said NO >but for one guy, and he was neurotic, so I don't know if
>I believe him or not.

I'm not sure of your point here. The point is that I wonder about all the scare and the reality of whether or not a shot is really needed. Are you saying the physicians themselves
didn't get vaccinated? Yes Okay, fine.  What's the relevance to this
discussion? Again wondering if people/Vets are doing this because of the spin that Ft. Dodge is giving or are they really believing that it is going to be a real danger for the masses? Are you asking how many vets are vaccinating their own horses
against WNV?No.  Personally, I don't know of any that aren't---at least among
those where WNV has shown up.  The rest ---like those on the West Coast and
PNW---are planning on it this coming spring.Why are they waiting until the spring of 2004? I thought they all wanted them done this past spring? That is when my Vet said we had to start.

Vaccinating is certainly a personal choice and I hope everyone is able to
beat the odds and be able to say I told you so.  I've sure seen a lot of
horses this past year that didn't beat the odds, and it wasn't pretty. See, this is what I want to know, I personally do not know of any horses that have been affected and I think it reasonable as Steph Caldwell has said, we need a lot more unbiased data on the disease and the values of the shots. That is all.
I had my herd done, last spring, but as I said, I am seriously thinking of not giving a booster until I have a lot more knowledge especially for the area that I live in.  And what about the horses that got the vaccine and still got the virus? what is the stats and data on that?

I am not trying to argue with you Susan, I just want a lot more information on this whole thing.
amber

Susan G