Re: [RC] Very important message about WNV SHOTS - Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

 Didn't get what?  The vaccine, exposure, clinical disease, or what?
That did not get vaccinated, and did not come down with the virus.

I don't know. Not sure if the data exists.  The infection rate is
proportional to the exposure rate, and that varies widely.

Again wondering if people/Vets are doing this because >of the spin that
Ft. Dodge is giving or are they really >believing that it is going to be a
real danger for the >masses?

Personally, I didn't get any spin from Fort Dodge.  Haven't seen a website
or anything else.  I formed my own opinions sometime during the last year
watching a lot of unvaccinated horses die, plus what I got firsthand from
some pretty good epidemiologists that don't work for Fort Dodge.

Why are they waiting until the spring of 2004? I >thought they all wanted
them done this past spring? >That is when my Vet said we had to start.

Depends on where you are, doesn't it?  WNV has been on the East coast for
several years, so vaccinating this past spring woulda been a day late and a
dollar short.  About right, maybe cutting it a bit fine for the Front Range
where I am.  For you in the PNW, maybe a little early, but prudent.  I
woulda for my own horses.  WNV hasn't reached the West coast or PNW yet
(although the surveillance flocks near the Salton Sea recently tested
positive).

See, this is what I want to know, I personally do not >know of any horses
that have been affected

Come to Colorado, I'll show you lots.

and I think >it reasonable as Steph Caldwell has said, we need a lot >more
unbiased data on the disease and the values of the >shots. That is all.

And that's reasonable, nobody expects you to be gullible about every miracle
remedy that comes down the pike.  But, horses are dying from this disease.
I've seen it with my own very two eyes, I saw the serology results, and I'm
not biased (just convinced).  Plus, I saw the results of the owner surveys
collected by fellow students at CSU that has led me *personally* to believe
that the vaccine is reasonably effective, of minimal risk except possibly to
mares in early pregnancy and that the clinical disease carries a real risk
of death, or at the very least, morbidity that in turn causes a high
incidence of secondary problems.

And what about the horses that got the vaccine and still >got the virus?
what is the stats and data on that?

From what I remember of the survey results collected by the vet students at
CSU, there were remarkably few horses that got vaccinated and boostered
according to protocol.  Of those that got vaccinated at all, some did get
the virus, but in general did not get as ill as unvaccinated horses, and as
far as I know firsthand, none died.  Of those that died at the CSU vet
hospital, none were vaccinated.  A lot of other horses were unvaccinated,
got the clinical disease, and survived with some pretty strenuous veterinary
care (and a hefty bill).

 I am not trying to argue with you Susan, I just want a >lot more
information on this whole thing.
 >amber

Sorry, I didn't know we were arguing, I thought this was a discussion.  Do I
need to go back and add in some expletives? <g>

Susan G, DVM