Re: [RC] Very important message about WNV SHOTS - rackinfool

Pretty interesting, as I just ask my Vet last friday when he was here to examine my new mare that will be used as a brood mare.

I told him that I "heard" that WNV was causing a lot of problems in foals where the dam was innoculated with WNV.

He said there is absolutely no proof that he has seen or read that WNV is causing any problems in mares and foals.

He also said, that as far as the WNV shot goes, it is still open to critisism because all anyone really KNOWS is the spin that Ft. Dodge is giving us as the only manufacturer of WNV.

We have not had any cases so far in Oregon, and I know for a fact that a lot of my neighbors did not chose to vaccinate.

I am really wanting a lot more information on this before I give them a booster next year. So many rumors and not a ton of factual data it appears to me.

I am curious, Truman, did you vaccinate your horse that come down with WNV? and Paddi, although your horse did not have WNV after all, did you vaccinate for it?

Is it more of a threat to the horses and people living in the damp humid climates?

 Susan is it true that in Colorado that 14 humans died from WNV? Why are there not shots for humans, if it affects them? Why give the horses the shot and not people?  I am genuinely interested in this.

I keep asking myself of all the tens of thousands of horses that did not get this, what exactly is the danger?  Yes, I know that some have contracted the virus, but what are the percentages?

This all reminds me of back in the early 80's when the Swine Flu was the big disaster scare. Everyone lining up for their shots. (not me)

But guess what? I took a survey of my Physician clients that were buying into giving their patients the shot, and ask them if THEY were getting it. Every one said NO but for one guy, and he was neurotic, so I don't know if I believe him or not.

What do the rest think?
amber