Re: [RC] Very important message about WNV SHOTS - Stephanie E Caldwell

>>Please go to this website and read the stories about people who have givin their horses the West Nile Shots!!!

Yes, Jonni, this is the lost foals site. I saw this for the first time about eight months ago, right before I gave spring vaccines. So, I decided to do some research of my own on the WNV vaccine. At that time there were *NO* safety reports or adverse events reports on file at the FDA. They were allowing this vaccine as some special research release. In affect they're using our horses as guinea pigs. A few weeks ago I finally got access to the safety reports on the FDA's site and the vaccine isn't safe for mares in any stage of pregnancy.

I spoke with Fort Dodge, armed with the lack of info from the FDA and they admitted that the vaccine causes pregnancy problems, but denied any other problems with the vaccine.

I vaccinated my horse last year with WNV, Strangles, Flu, WEE, EEE, Tet, and Rabies and ended up with a case of Strangles and a sick horse at the vaccine time. This year I gave her Rabies, Tet, WEE, and EEE and she's been much healthier. It's a personal choice, but don't look down on those of us that choose not to vaccinate. The vaccine is at Fort Dodge's claims less than 75% effective, and with the problems with it, it wasn't worth it to me.

Steph