Re: [RC] [RC] Very important message about WNV SHOTS - DreamWeaver

Nobody is more anal than I am now about giving vaccinations to my horses. It's been a few years now since my horse Weaver had a bad reaction the 2nd year he received a nasal strangles vaccine. From that point in time, he has received absolutely no vaccinations of any kind.

Until now. I seriously was concerned enough about WN to risk giving him this vaccine. We did take precautions (+ lots of discussion w/ my vet and Dr. G too), and I did work on building up his immune system before he went to the vet clinic. Once there, he received the shot and then we stayed there for some time letting him graze. I kept a real close eye on him for a couple of days afterwards looking for signs of a reaction. So far <knocking on wood>, so good. It's been a week (and, I did find time to ride him this weekend too, lol!) and he looks and feels great.

I just could not justify taking this horse to areas where West Nile exists without vaccinating him. Of course, the other choice I could have made would be to simply not take him anywhere and hope that it doesn't come here. My other two horses were both vaccinated with their first two shot series last year with boosters this year. The odds are high that this horse will be in areas where other horses have gotten WN in the coming year and I chose to give the vaccine. Even with his reaction history. The death rate in unvaccinated horses is just too high.

A dead crow positive for WNV was found in Los Angeles County. It's coming!

Happy Trails,
Karen
in NV