[RC] Horse Safety (or don't panic, HELP the horse) - Bonnie Davis

Way back in the 50's and 60's horse safety and HANDLING A PANICKED HORSE
used to be one of the stead fast clinic items.  There aren't anymore safety
clinics held -- I guess all the top trainers we have roaming the country
have taught us horseowners how to avoid panic situations.

Every horseowner knows the first thing NOT to do is panic!!  It's help the
horse.  Panic later.  Don't stand around screaming or yelling or shouting --
it's help the horse.  And there are ways to do it!!!!!

One of the first things as an 18 year old new horseowner I learn from an old
60 year plus (shouldn't probably say old since I'm now 62) cowboy was to
'pile on'.

In other words, sit on the horse's head.  When a horse panics or fights he
throws his head around.  Get on the horse's head and stop the head from
being thrown around.  Hold it down, the horse stops fighting.

If the horse was on the ground and fighting to get legs loose or thrashing
around, grab the head and sit on it.  Push the horse's head on the ground so
it can't move.

I've been lucky, only had one of my own horses get hurt in 40 plus years.
But I've seen others.  One horse went into a fence -- the gal owning the
horse was screaming like a witch for the horse to 'whoa'.  About 6 people
went running and everyone began yelling whoa.  The horse wasn't going to
whoa -- it wanted to get away.  It was going through barbwire, kicking and
crashing down the wire fence.  He was out of his head.  He'd fall, thrash,
get up, fall, thrash......

We got there with wire cutters and my husband and I got a hold of the
horse's head and I sat on the head.  My husband put a knee in the neck just
below the head.  The horse lay perfectly still.  It would start to kick but
then stop.  Another person got the wire cut, untangled the horse.  We got
some scratches, dirty, a lot of blood on us but amazingly, the horse was not
seriously cut.

(By the way, how many of you wear good fitting gloves when working or riding
horses?  That's the reason one wears gloves -- to protect your hands so you
can pull wire from around a leg, pull out stickers from a tail, etc.)

Again, one of the tricks to gentle a horse for old time 'horse tamers'
(before they were called 'trainers') used to be to throw a horse and sit on
its head.  The horse can not get up when you sit on its head.  The horse
learned he was at the control of man.  The horse got up when the man let
him.

Look at calf ropers, they knee the calf.  My daughter works on a range.  She
gets to give the shots to BIG cattle.  When she got tired of being tossed
around, she began kneeing cattle -- they lay there now.

I better clarify, by sitting on the horse's head I don't mean put your butt
on his eyes.  You put weight on the head -- a lot of weight to
counterbalance an average 40 pound head.  If I have to keep a horse down for
a long time, I knee 'em and I've even seen year's-ago-vets lay a horse down,
cover it's eyes with a towel or something, keep weight on the head for a few
minutes longer and put three or four handfuls of dirt on the towel on the
horse's cheek and then the vet walk away.  The horse stayed down.  Why?  If
a horse can feel a fly crawl on its skin it can feel three or four handfuls
of dirt piled on its cheek.  In the horse's mind, it couldn't move its head.

Since I'm old (and senile) the problem with horseowners today is that we
EXPECT it now.  With the internet we have instant communications and so we
expect someone to solve our horse problem -- now!  We have all types of bits
to control a horse.  Buy a saddle for every horse we own and then have an AM
saddle for morning riding and a PM saddle for night riding.  Give our horses
all kinds of 'goodies' to keep 'em happy.  Have 'doctors' talk to 'em to
find out how they feel about us.  And then when they throw us off or refuse
to load, hire a trainer or WE go to a trainer to find out what's wrong with
US.  It ain't us, folks, it's the horse!!

Our horses are screwed up because we've made 'em that way!!  We've allowed
it.  We're no longer the 'leader' -- we're their 'buddy'.  We talk natural
horsemanship but if you really want to see natural horsemanship -- look at
the cowboys.  They were 'natural' and some were mean!  I'm a firm believer
that my horses respect me and from respect, they do (yes, do) what I want
them to do.  I know my horses.  If I yell at Sig -- he falls apart.  Hit
'em, it'll take him four days to recover.  Bud, yell at him and he giggles.
So for Bud, a sharp whack with a whip or when saddling to make him stand
still -- a swift kick with the side of the foot into the belly makes him
'respect' me.  Yet each horse (and every horse I've owned) will whinny when
I come in the barn (and that's not because they love me but because they
know I'm going to feed 'em grain and they want me to repect them enough to
feed both).

What we need today are some of the 'old' cowboys who taught how to help in a
panic situation -- keep a horse down, get a horse up.  Why one should wear
boots!!  Gloves!  What to do when a horse falls at a dead run.  Where to go
when the horse stumbles and falls off the trail.  In other words BASIC
safety and horse help......now for the person who ties their horse to the
middle of the fence or the rearview mirrow on your truck, don't.  Always tie
to a solid object -- use the fence POST.

Bonnie Davis