Re: [RC] [Guest] Trailer ramps - Bonnie Davis

Wow, Jim, you really HATE  ramp trailers don't you.....

I don't show.   Never have.  But I horsecamp.  About 5-7 thousand miles a
year just camping.  Been in flat meadows, on the side of mountains, on river
banks and lots of places where the ground is not even.  Never camp or unload
in a ditch -- you could wet is it rains up in the moutains and the ditch
gets water run off.  And in all those years with my ramp trailer, no
problems.  As for leveling, that's why one should carry 5 or  6 one-inch
blocks with 'em to level a ramp.  Or find a rock.  Since I've never had an
Arab -- Quarter Horses,  Morgan/Quarter cross, an Appaloosa, an
All-American, a couple Paints -- so with my horses they've all loaded into
ramp trailers.

For me, my ramp has worked fine.  First a Miley.  Now the Featherlite which
I had built for horsecamping and trail riding.  I've camped for up to 6
weeks without seeing anyone.

Regardless of what I say you won't change your throughts about a ramp
trailer.  But I've never seen a horse slip and go under the end of a ramp
and break a let.  I've seen two of those with step-up trailers -- one when
unloading on blacktop at a horse show and the horse spooked and slipped, one
leg under the step up which the horse broke.  The other on dirt when the
horse 'fell' out, sat down and went over backwards with both legs going
under step-up.  One leg broke, the other skinned to bone.

Two years ago I had a tire seperate on my dulley.  Blew out wheelwell,
corner of camper, dented front of trailer.  Had to unload horses on the
SLOPE of 680 freeway.  No problem.  Horses backed out and watched
18-wheelers go back.  Even if it's a step-up, the trailer is still sloped
sideways.......or do you have a special leveling system for keeping your
trailer flat?

My Featherlite is 9 years old.  But I take care of it too!!  You know, oil
the springs, wash the floor every three months, take the horse manure

In my estimation -- forget the step-up.  Unless the horse can be turned
around and lead out.  But not for you, Jim!

Bonnie Davis