Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 3:55 PM
Subject: RE: [RC] Trailer ramps

I started with a ramp, as I had seen too many legs stuck under the backs of trailers as horses slid under while backing out.  After 4 years of a ramp, I gratefully switched to a step up.  I had the same experience as Jim - one of my Arabs leaped OVER the ramp to get in almost every time.  If it wasn't dead even on the ground (and when is it ever at a ridecamp?) he jumped in rather than walk up the ramp.  I have seen just as many legs slid under ramps as under the stepup.  Since I have a slant load they can turn around and walk off of, I see that problem rarely.  My step up is fairly high and the 14 hand arabs have no trouble.  Its no higher than many of the trail guard stepovers they have to go over to get on the trail.

My vote is definitely for a step up

Alison A. Farrin
Innovative Pension
Innovative Retirement Services
858-748-6500 x 107
alison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-=-=-=-=

Do you Yahoo!?< br> Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now