Re: [RC] re: Bryce and wilderness - Truman Prevatt

Pushing for legislation is a good idea. However, based on a the small number of people involved and based on the history of the AHC and the BCHA effort to get the Right to Ride legislation through Congress - I believe if we want to ride on Wilderness we need to look for formats where we can do that.

For those that don't know the BCHA has been working with the AHC to push what some call the "Right to Ride" - "Preservation of Equine Heritage on Public Lands Act" through Congress. This would impact all horsemen who ride on federal public land - not just endurance riders. http://www.horsecouncil.org/pressreleases/2007_Preserving_Equine_Heritage.php

The bill has made it though committee in the House but has not yet been above to get out of committee in the Senate. The reason is the Senate committee views it as a "special interest" legislation and will not consider it unless the scope is broadened to include other interest. The AHC is still working the issue but it is unclear how successful they will be.

Based on this effort I see pushing such legislation to remove the exception for very small special interest - the AERC in the big scheme of things is a very small group - has as much chance in Congress as a snow ball has in lasting four days outside in August in Florida.

In any case if such a process started today and the AERC did eventually prevail most of us would be long dead before it happened.

If we want to ride in Wilderness land - best bet I see is to work within the system and develop a format that would allow that. It may not be an endurance ride as we define it today. However, if enough members see it as something the AERC should support - then it should be pursued.

Truman

Joe Long wrote:
That's a problem.  But we are not the only group disaffected by the arrogance of the Sierra Club and its allies who want to close vast tracts of public land to everyone but themselves.

It took an act of Congress to get the Tevis grandfathered through Granite Chief.  I'd like the AERC to seek a specific exemption for endurance rides through our Congressmen.

--
“The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently

“The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.”  Friedrich Nietzsche