Re: [RC] re: Bryce and wilderness - Truman Prevatt

Joe, good luck with that. The Wilderness Act was passed in 1964. Today changing it to allow endurance rides will elicited opposition from environmental lobbies that will mean it will never happen. It's time for the AERC to address the issue that if riders want endurance rides through Wilderness land, they figure out how to come into compliance with the Wilderness Act.

Bottom line the AERC membership is 5 to 6 K - we are a minority. It's not like we have the numbers to swing a change in the Wilderness Act.

Truman

Joe Long wrote:
I cannot agree.  We've been losing endurance trails to Wilderness designations for a long time, the Alabama ride lost a beautiful trail to it over 20 years  ago.  There is nothing about competing vs. just riding that has anything to do with preservation, or wilderness.  I'd say we need to try to persuade our legislators  to amend the Wilderness rules to allow events such as endurance rides as long as no structures are built and no permanent markers are used.

Until some accommodation like that is made, I will oppose all expansions of wilderness -- as it is now it locks up vast tracts of OUR public land to be the playground of a tiny minority.

--
Joe Long  aka ChipRider
jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

--
“The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently

“The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.”  Friedrich Nietzsche