Re: [RC] Black is way hotter! - Truman Prevatt

My old Walking Horse mare used to be "black" but fade to an almost "yellow." She had amazing recoveries. However, that had nothing to do with coat color, heat absorption or any of that - she had a huge heart a very low resting heart rate and didn't produce a lot of heat from exercise - less production, less to dissipate.

There are many factors involved.

Truman

Nancy Sturm wrote:

What I want to know is if the difference in heat buildup would be
enough that, all other things being equal, you'd choose a bay horse
over a black.

My horse, registered as black, fades so fast during the summer months that by the end of ride season he is lighter than most sorrell and bay horses. For nice quick recoveries I might choose a grey Arab over my black Tennessee Walker, but that would probably because of genetics not color,

Nancy

-
“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience

“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true.” Carl Sagan