[RC] Running and Riding - Bruce Weary DC

I agree with Bob on this. We should probably be proactive and rename our sport "Distance Riding" to distinguish it from
the distances that the casual trail rider typically travels. Then, under that banner, we would have Limited Distance, and the various
Endurance distances. Then, when a Distance Rider, does a Limited Distance ride, he/she won't complain or wonder why the
moniker of Endurance Rider isn't assigned to them, any more than a 5K or 10K runner would wonder why they aren't called marathoners.
They are simply happy to be a member of the "running world."
This will take time, and perhaps a new generation of riders before such a transition can be completed, but it addresses the inclusionary issues that
Steph mentioned, honors riders at every distance, and maintains a tiered honor system for those who indeed do ride the longer distances.

If we all get quiet for a moment, and ponder what thrills us more--reflecting on, telling stories about and reliving our own accomplishments, or those of others,
I think I know what most people's answer will be. And since we all tend to be more "me" oriented, we can continue to expect ongoing efforts on behalf of some,
who would like the finish line, and it's awards, recognition, titles and bragging rights moved ever closer. It's an extension of the "Pain-Pleasure" principle. We tend to be more attracted to good feelings that more are easily earned, than we are to uncomfortable acts of self-discipline and extending ourselves to levels we never thought possible to acheive those good feelings. The latter is what the endurance distances offer many of our members.
I stay in endurance riding, not because it's easy, or that I want it to become easier, but because it isn't. And I would hate for future generations to miss out on the great sense of satisfaction obtained by riding the longer distances, simply because they were given the impression that the rides are pretty much all the same. They are not. Even among the same distances, there are significant differences. I have completed ten 100's, but after six attempts, I have failed in completing the Tevis. I would feel silly wearing a Tevis buckle, that I had not earned, simply because I have ridden other 100's. Those who have earned that buckle would also look at me funny, and rightfully so.
Some argue that incapacity or infirmity on behalf of the rider should allow for greater recognition at the shorter distances, since they are unwilling or unable to
endure the greater physical hardship of the longer distances. I don't know how to solve this one so that others don't choose to be offended by the difference in rewards
being proportional to the effort given, or distance ridden. I can say that life isn't always equitable. That doesn't mean it isn't fair. Bruce Weary