Re: [RC] Running and Riding - John Teeter

On Apr 1, 2009, at 12:43 PM, Bruce Weary DC wrote:

And since we all tend to be more "me" oriented, we can continue to expect ongoing efforts on behalf of some,

who would like the finish line, and it's awards, recognition, titles and bragging rights moved ever closer.

I think this misses the point.?I think Sandra describe the situation in Europe. Basically the "discipline" (Distance Riding to BW:) goes all the way down to 12 miles; and you have to start there to qualify on up to the REAL endurance (which are called "Amateur" and "Professional").

It ain't about dumbing down, it's about encouraging the grass roots.?The Pony Club (is it only in Britain?) is taking the sport out to those who might not otherwise ever be exposed to it, and giving them a non-threatening way?to get to the next level. At some point, those that get hooked on the sport (and the horses that are prospects:) get transitioned into Endurance-GB. (I do hope Endurance-GB is encouraging this and will accept completions at the Pony Club rides as qualification for moving forward).

jt