RE: [RC] flat track biters - kathy . mayeda

Our barn had a "field trip" last year to Bay Meadows and had a tour of the stables and lunch in the Turf Club.  I was actually surprised to see some happy and playful Thoroughbreds.  One was used as  a demo horse to show the lip tattoo.  After the tour guide rassled a little bit with him a couple of minutes to show his lip tattoo- which this horse was simply resisting - this horse started pulling back his lip and showing off his tattoo himself after the guy gave up and turned his back ...  The horse did that for a couple of minutes and had us all giggling.  I think the horse was just playing with us.

A good percentage of the horses would reach out their necks and make eye contact with us, asking to be petted.  They seemed to really enjoy human company.

Of course, we were only allowed to see one row of horses.  Hopefully this is representative of all trainers there, and not just for show.

I used to be barn-mates with the Reynolds.  Heather and Jeremy have good rapport with the horses, and I don't think Heather would tolerate bad behaviour.  Jeremy, on the other hand, enjoyed riding my crazy Drako in his one and only 50 miler, so I don't know about him!  But then again, Jeremy does not have the same "baggage" as I do with this horse.

K.