Re: [RC] Wussification of endurance - Carla Richardson

I agree with much of what you're saying, Jonni, even though this is my first year of endurance, and I don't have a long personal history of the sport, I can compare with only what I've read.  I'm very fortunate to live where I do, where most of the rides are in areas where you can do one 50 mile loop, or two loops, rather than a series of small loops coming back into camp.  One thing that I really don't like is having a lot of vet holds.  I prefer having one vet hold (like the Duck has for his rides).  I have never had a crew, so when the vet hold is in camp that's convenient for me, but I sure don't bask in AC, I'm usually in a tent or in the back of my Bronco, not exactly "wussified" camping for me. <G>  No showers, either.  Have to confess, I would love a hot shower after a few days... !  Baby wipes and wet paper towels just aren't the same.

I just got back from the Grand Canyon XP, I finished Day 1 and Day 2, and regretfully left to come home yesterday morning.  The change in the weather was a big factor for me, because I was in a tent.  The wind literally whipped that tent all night Thursday night.  Exhausting.  I have to say, I REALLY wish I had a LQ trailer or at least a camper, because trying to sleep in a tent with high winds whipping it all night - well, it's impossible.  Yesterday morning, with a raging headache and aching body (I felt like I had the flu!), I knew there was no way I could ride another 50 miles.  I did finish two days and I'm just sick that I couldn't keep going.  But I knew it was too much for me, and didn't want to punish my horse by riding like a sack of potatos on his back!

In short, some "improvements" like LQ trailers and meals cooked for the riders in camp are GREAT.  Annie always has lunch on the trail for everyone, and has a hot meal after the ride, every night.  On a multi-day, that's so wonderful.  Coming in late, like I do <G>, I really appreciate having a ready-made dinner.  I'd probably go to bed hungry if I had to fix something.

The Grand Canyon XP trails are gorgeous, and I fully intend to return next year.  I'm so proud of my horse, Khid, in his and my first year of endurance, we're up to 610 miles now - 300 of those miles are from the Duck's rides.  If I could, I'd go to all of his rides, that's another one of my goals, to be a Gold XP Rider.  I just need a camper for my truck!  <G>

Carla Richardson
Colorado