[RC] Surviving a 50 - David LeBlanc

Carrie said:

Personally, I'm thrilled with LDs and the fact that they exist at all and I
appreciate every inch of effort that goes into them.  I probably won't be
able to survive a 50, I don't know, I haven't gotten there yet.

I remember my first LD - Liberty Run. I'd only been riding about 6 months,
so if you need evidence I'm a little crazy, there it is. I'd been training
on a 17 mile trail all summer with other endurance riders, and this one was
a 15 followed by a 10. Boy that 15 miles sure seemed like a long way. I was
on a 25 year old Palomino QH, one of the big stocky guys. I recall being
about 3 miles from camp, and thinking it was a long loop. When we got into
camp, Skipper was down immediately, with a fast, flat 10 miles to go. We
picked it up a notch, started passing a bunch of folks, and some of them
tried to catch us - we kicked it up a bit, didn't see them until camp. I was
hooked. Came in with straight A's across the board both vet checks, which
seemed to amuse the vets that a 25 YO QH could do that. Never been so proud
to come in 42nd (which was middle of the pack - big ride).

I was afraid to try a 50 until 2 seasons later, and when I did, it was a 60.
We just took it _really_ slow, let the horses eat, had a good time. It was
15 miles out and back, done twice. I think we were an hour and a half behind
the previous riders. The vet told us the horses were looking good, and could
do another loop if we'd wanted, so my next long ride, I did a 75. It was a
fairly easy 75, but that seemed tough. By the time I did a 50, it seemed
short!

Now if a loop is only 15 miles, I consider it short, having gone as far as
28 miles without a stop on one ride, and most 50's don't seem like a big
deal. So many people make a big deal of how hard a 50 is - it isn't all that
tough. Next 25, ask yourself - if I rested for an hour, could I get back on
and ride another 2-3 hours? I bet you could. So far, you're turning in good
ride times - not too fast, not too slow. Do a couple more, then see if you
can find a fairly easy ride to do the first 50, and ideally find someone to
tag along with who's one of those steady tail-end completers. There's a
woman with about 17,000 miles up here, and I ride with her every chance I
get - not only is she fun to ride with, but I learn a lot from her.

Don't let it intimidate you - couple more rides, and you'll be ready.